Hi there! As you all may know, there are many Hokkien-speaking seniors in Singapore who do not have a strong command of English or Mandarin. As such, this video in Singapore Hokkien highlights the precautions that they can take to protect themselves from contracting COVID-19.
Please share this COVID-19 precautionary video with anyone who may find it useful. Let’s overcome this battle together!
You can also view and share this video via our Facebook and Instagram IGTV.
Hello! You must have observed that many people are wearing masks recently.
This is because a new coronavirus – originated from Wuhan, China – is spreading around the globe.
The situation is a cause for concern, as effective vaccines and medicines have yet to be developed successfully.
As of 31st January 2020, there are about 10,000 confirmed cases globally with more than 200 deaths. There are also confirmed cases in Singapore.
Typical symptoms include cough, runny nose, fever and shortness of breath.
If you have just returned to Singapore, please monitor your health closely.
If you have cough, runny nose or fever within 2 weeks upon your return, please wear a mask. Seek medical attention promptly and do inform the clinic ahead of your visit.
Here are a few precautions that you can take:
- Avoid contact with animals, poultry and birds.
- Avoid consumption of raw or under-cooked meat.
- Avoid crowded places and people who are unwell.
- Observe good personal hygiene.
- Wash hands with soap, especially before meals and cooking as well as after using the toilet.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- See a doctor if you are unwell.
（ 中文字幕 ）新冠肺炎疫情以及预防措施
The video was created with the intention to reach as many Hokkien-speaking seniors in Singapore as possible. As such, we have chosen to use everyday Hokkien that most Singaporeans are used to and thus, may include some words from other languages too. In similar manner, we have also included English and Mandarin subtitles. We hope this helps to bridge the communication gap between our Hokkien-speaking seniors and our healthcare professionals, volunteers or simply anyone who is less fluent in Hokkien.
We’ve also recorded this COVID-19 precautionary video in Teochew, Cantonese, Hainanese and Hakka:
- COVID-19 and the Precautions to Take (Teochew)
- COVID-19 and the Precautions to Take (Cantonese)
- COVID-19 and the Precautions to Take (Hainanese)
- COVID-19 and the Precautions to Take (Hakka)
*The Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese and Hainanese videos were created before the formal name of COVID-19 was given. Previously, it was commonly known as Wuhan coronavirus.
COVID-19 Heightened Measures Videos (Circuit Breaker Period – April 2020)